if you like what you see...

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

interruption...

I had every intention of not doing any posts until I'm all done with my India chronicles. BUT...this past Sunday we (my family and my siblings and their spouses) had dinner with Grandpa. After dinner, we all went to Fairmount Wesleyan Campgrounds to take in the final worship service of Family Camp 2012. It was such a wonderful evening, I just have to share!




We grew up at camp. Each summer we were there. Junior Bible Camp, Teen Camp and Family Camp. Either as campers or counselors or just plain trouble-makers or all of the above! :)

People who didn't grow up at camp but come to visit as adults are usually confused about what the hype is...some have even said it looks like a migrant worker housing facility.



That's because the hype isn't in the buildings. It isn't about the property. It isn't about the location or the scenery or the weather or the view or any of that. It's about the Holy Spirit. The whole place radiates with Him. This is why for many years, I stayed away from camp. Because the minute I step foot on that precious soil, I can feel the tug on my heart. So when I was living a life full of confusion and darkness and wrong choices, coming to camp seemed out of reach, out of my league. Of course I was dead wrong...

I have heard hundreds of testimonies that started at Fairmount Wesleyan Campgrounds. I know people who found Jesus here. Others found their spouses here. I try to imagine my own life without camp. I think of the paths I wandered down and how without camp, those paths would have gone much much farther into a pit than where they did lead me.



Camp is about people. It's about family. It's about healing and fellowship and friendship and fun and unity. It's about remembering, if even for just a week, a simpler time and a life not so full of "busy". But even more important than all of that...it's about Jesus and finding a relationship with Him, and praising His name and worship.


From left to right - Korie (3), Keri (me! 1), Kelly (2), Kyle (4)

We are soooo extremely blessed. Thank you Lord for my amazing family and for Fairmount Wesleyan Camp and the way you have worked, are working and will continue to work on hearts and in lives at that campground.

6 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Perfect!!!

I hope you're sharpening your proverbial pencil to write your book.

Pam said...

Just read your comment over on your Mom's blog about Kyle looking more and more like Gpa John: thank you for the answer to my unspoken question! Can't tell you how long I have been trying to figure out who he resembles.

Also heard that you saw Jeff and Johnna at camp, and Kelly called Jeff "Uncle".

Keetha Broyles said...

Jeff might as well be Kelly's Uncle! All those Thanksgivings - - - I'm sure Jeff feels like his Uncle.

Keetha Broyles said...

I really like Kyle's hair short like that.

Alyx said...

What a great looking family!!

Heather said...

I love your skirt keri so much I went out and bought one like the style of it! its tie dyed blue so comfy! :♥)